I should probably start off by saying that what I'm currently doing is completely unorthodox for me, haha. It's no secret that I dislike most of my old drawings! It's difficult for me to look at them and every once in a while I just throw them all into a fireplace. There's a mixture of reasons why I do this: sometimes I just want to make more space for new doodles, sometimes I'm embarrassed of what I've drawn (e.g. drawings of myself - I don't make these anymore!), sometimes there's nothing but unfinished scribbles that I'm never going to finish anyway. Do I regret burning those? No. Not at all!
I do, however, regret deleting things that I once scanned and/or photoshopped. I don't remove stuff like that anymore but what was once annihilated cannot be retrieved. If I scanned something in the past, it (probably) means I liked it back then - liked it enough to actually keep it. I reckon I deleted approximately 80% of my early scans and digital doodles and I wish that didn't happen. I don't grow attached to most of my sketches - they come and go - but I had some memories about those scribbles I used to keep on my computer. Now that they are gone, the memories slowly fade away.
Yesterday, while struggling to fall asleep (which seems to be a permanent problem for me), I randomly thought about one of the old thingies that miraculously survived the purge. I figured out I might share it, as well as some other ugly oldies. I have many old drawings of my sailor characters, yet I'll keep most of them to myself - those are just plain horrifying and I absolutely hate them, hahah. The other things are pretty bad too, so go grab a bucket in case any of them makes you sick! Let's start before I change my mind!
![]() |
| May 2008 |
So here it is: the very first traditional sketch I coloured digitally! Sweet Mother of Mercy, look at those hind legs. I remember I had no idea how to draw them and they made me cringe even back then! I had this crappy style when I was 13-14 years old and I suppose I had at least three dozens of similar doodles saved on my PC. The reason only this one survived is that I saved it in a different folder and simply forgot about that. Why is this dog green? Well. That was the easiest colour for me to start with!
![]() |
| February 2010 |
Not nearly as bad as the previous one but still, pretty bad! I couldn't find anything from 2009, meaning I deleted every single drawing from that year, which is a shame... On the other hand, I remember that 2009 was difficult for me in terms of drawing - I kept trying to find a style I'd feel comfortable with. Lots of frustration, anger, breakdowns and miserably failed experiments! I finally settled with something you can see above and I'm basically continuing it to this day, albeit with many tweaks. This one was doodled for a friend 'cos they wanted me to create a wolf fursona, haha. I never actually used this character! (I'm also not that fat and I don't wear hats anymore)
![]() |
| February 2010 |
Another (suspiciously furry) digital colouring practice!
![]() |
| March 2010 |
![]() |
| April 2010 |
This was supposed to be a pig, apparently!
![]() |
| April 2010 |
Almost everything I drew back then had huge, ball-like eyes with tiny pupils. That was probably the most gruesome part of my drawings! I have no idea why the heck I did this, I absolutely despise it now!
![]() |
| May 2010 |
![]() |
| June 2010 |
![]() |
| June 2010 |
That was my rarely used character Gilbert. Never actually liked him!
![]() |
| June 2010 |
(I have to admit I'm still fond of this one, haha)
![]() |
| June 2010 |
I couldn't get the head to look right, so I just did this instead. 2010 was full of such compromises! I wish I scanned more of them, they're kind of hilarious!
![]() |
| August 2010 |
HOLY CRAP.
![]() |
| August 2010 |
Those early captains always remind me of earthworms!
![]() |
| December 2010 |
This turtle lived in a fish tank in one of the classrooms in my Junior High School. I once let it out, it bit me, then it pooped on the floor. Good times!
![]() |
| December 2010 |
This one is an absolute GARBAGE, I'm only posting it because I like that shark and captain's earrings, haha.
![]() |
| January 2011 |
My characters used to talk. Can you believe it? I guess they still know how to talk, but don't do it via speech bubbles - I prefer my comics with a narrator!
![]() |
| April 2011 |
This was a mean gift for one of my dA friends. I'm glad they didn't realise this was supposed to make them angry, though! (Also, it's HELLA ugly)
![]() |
| May 2011 |
Posting this 'cos I like that floating hat, hahah. I couldn't squeeze it where it belonged, so I just drew it in the air. Makes sense! Also, this confirms my love for westerns once more.
![]() |
| July 2011 |
Not a bad one, to be perfectly honest - although I remember I hated it when I finished it!
![]() |
| November 2011 |
This was supposed to be a part of a cartoon drawing tutorial but I lost interest pretty early on.
![]() |
| November 2011 |
This was meant to be the last slide of a Power Point presentation, yet the presentation never actually happened. I'm grateful it didn't 'cos this fox looks absolutely awful!
![]() |
| November 2011 |
![]() |
| November 2011 |
Never gave this one to Jim because YUCK!
![]() |
| November 2011 |
(Those are okay in my opinion)
![]() |
| November 2011 |
![]() |
| February 2012 |
I think this was one of the early attempts to add more 'volume' and weight to my style. This lion looks like a baboon, though!
![]() |
| May 2012 |
This one definitely doesn't belong to the "crap" category - I'm posting this as a conclusion to everything you've just seen above. I still like this doodle a lot! It wasn't the first Saria I've ever drawn, yet the very first one I was actually content with. It's extremely special and important to me because it cemented one of the best friendships in my whole life!
Everything from 2012 & beyond can be found on my Photobucket!
*
Before I finish, I'll post a couple of sillies that happened in 2011, mostly during the lessons at school. I used to look back on my Junior High School days with a lot of fondness, yet that changed as the time went by! I'm certainly not proud who I was back then. I was both a meanie and a moron - now I feel very sorry for everyone I insulted/mistreated in those years. If you're one of those people, I'm genuinely sorry!
The only thing I kept in my good memories is the doodles. I wasn't actually trying while making them - same as with those Paint scribbles I posted a while ago - but that's exactly why I enjoyed them so much!
I used to draw a lot of snails!
And chickens too. 'Cos those are baby chickens!
All of this is my homework, haha. I've never done it right. Not even once!
I'm still extremely proud of these! These are square gangsters - and a cucumber.
Last but not least: zombie potato admiral. Not sure why I drew him but I still think it's one of the best admirals ever!
*
That's it! My next exam is scheduled for Thursday, so I had a little bit of time to write this post. I hope you didn't have to use that bucket after all! (And my apologies if you had to!)






































