2013/01/27

A-very wild west

 

I've been watching cartooooons. I think you can guess what theme they've been! Dear Lord, I love the wild west in animated form. Lots of dynamine, lots of ka-booms, lots of fancy clothes and of course they sing Oh Susanna all the time - that's what cartoons should be all about!
And as I took up a subject of toons, I'd like to write a short tribute to Tex Avery. The original master (not that gross late 1990's show that used his name). He's one of my heroes! I find his sense of humour very appealing, any other cartoons don't make me laugh as much as his do. His wonderful, not-overly-cute and simplified creations made a huge impact on my drawing style and I think you can easily spot it.
Even as a child, I had no problem distinguishing Tex's cartoons and the other ones. And what I really love about them - the older I am, the funnier they are! Seriously, some of the jokes are so adult. I remember I read on YouTube that first cartoons weren't truly meant for kids. They projected them usually before movies to entertain adults. I don't know if this is true or not but it seems logical!

Here are some episodes I wanted to share with you:


The way this moustached wolf laughs always cracks me up!


I am not crazy about Droopy but I adore his enemies :D


(EDIT: arghhhrgh, they blocked it just after I uploaded it. But you can always google this one because it's really worth seeing!)

Well, this one has nothing to do with the subject but I really wanted to share it. It's one of my top favourite cartoons, made by Chuck Jones. I used to watch this everyday a while back :P
Tex Avery is my fav animator yet Chuck is a very close second. His characters have really vivid and developed personalities and this is what distinguishes him from other cartoon makers. I watch Tex when I just want to laugh. But whenever I want to see something deeper and more educative (for me as a cartoonist, of course!), I always go and pick out Chuck's masterpieces.
On the other hand, I must admit that I am not much a fan of his late works... His version of Tom & Jerry had great plots but the style lost everything that I originally loved about it. It became plain and a bit angular. But still, Chuck remains as my idol.


That's all, folks!



22 comments :

  1. oh my gosh, your characters dressed up in cowboy garb <3 i love it! and i have a feeling boatswain will find some way to get back at le admiral for the little stunt he's pulling haha. i need to comment on how much i adore your lineart - it's so smooth. all the little details you add to your work (like the wrinkles/creases and seams in clothes) makes it so fun to look at. it's amazing just how much personality little things like that can add to a piece!

    now onto what you talked about: a very interesting post! i'm ashamed to admit i know very little about old cartoons.. well, except for the hanna barbera tom and jerry shorts. i've seen those!

    still, i'm not familiar with many other cartoons, and i don't really know the different animators (except chuck jones), though i've heard their names before. i'm glad you posted those videos. now i've seen some tex avery shorts and have learned something! :D i like all the little gags in those cartoons, like folding up doors and the wolf not being able to get on his horse (and the faces that cow in the first short makes when milked haha). very entertaining! i can definitely see the influence in your work now :3

    thank you for sharing! i shall have to look up more of these cartoons and study them! they're so great!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He sure will take revenge on him, of course if he manages to pull himself together after that :D I'm glad you spotted these details! I enjoy making them most, long straight or curved lines are my Achilles' heel. I hate making them because my hands are shaky and I have to erase them gazillion times until they look good.

      I don't know much about them too, I just watch a bunch of them. After seeing certain names so many times they eventually stick in my memory! I also google some model sheets from time to time and then encounter some hidden treasures (like animation-related blogs and sites)!
      No problem and I'm glad you liked these :D

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way 100% about Tex Avery cartoons. They always made me laugh and still do! I'm sure you've probably seen it, but Deputy Droopy is one of my favorites too. It's one of the later and more angular/stylized/simplistic ones but I absolutely love the two villains.

    I can say the same about Chuck Jones too! I really don't like what he did to Tom and Jerry but I adore the stuff he did for Warner Bros. And that's true, these cartoons weren't made for kids! I wish I had been alive in the 40's and 50's and seen them on the big screen. Heck, I would have gone to a movie I wasn't even interested in just to see the animated stuff at the beginning!

    I haven't been watching cartoons as much as I used to because of the junk they've replaced them with on Cartoon Network in recent years but I USED to watch them all the time. I know they're right on youtube for easy access but I'm lazy or rarely think to look them up on my own! I was happy to see these again because I love them too!

    ANYWAY. Those pictures are wonderful and I laughed when I saw Le Admiral with the matches near the trail of gunpowder. A clever connection to the above drawing! You bring the strongest qualities from those cartoons and apply them to your work and I really admire that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I think I saw it in the past but thank you for reminding me about this one because it escaped from my memory somehow. It was great to see Deputy Droopy once again!

      Haha, I can totally understand why you wish you had been alive in those times :D When I first got to know that classical toons were made in 40's and 50's, it gave me an enormous shock to learn that they're so many years old. As I child I strongly believed that they're all new and they're still being made! I'd love to see them on the big screen too!

      Cartoon Network is a piece of litter now... But I am glad you like these! I watch toons very often these days because I've recently got to know how many of them I haven't watched before. Numerous cartoons have never been aired in Poland, I feel so happy I can find them on the Internet!

      Thanks a lot!

      Delete
  3. braciszek wygląda jak mój najlepsiejszy polonista z LO...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dlaczego? Też nosił szelki i kapelusz? ;D

      Delete
    2. ...był szeroki.

      Delete
    3. A-ha xP
      Ja mógłbym z kolei Twojego braciszka porównać do pana Bogdana od matematyki. Niestety pan Bogdan skurczył się mocno i już nie wygląda tak podobnie. Szkoda, bo lubiłem przyłapywać się na tym, że w myślach tytułuję go "panem admirałem"!

      Delete
    4. ooo, no patrz;)
      w ogóle, napis na beczce z prochem dla mnie wygląda jak "powidła"

      Delete
    5. O widzisz, nawet Twoje konto się znalazło :D
      Achhh, rozgryzłaś to... No bo to jest beczka le admirała, w której trzyma amciu na le czarną godzinę.

      Delete
    6. mam ostatnio "fazę" na powidła śliwkowe (które zrobiłam latem) to właśnie je tam trzyma^^

      Delete
    7. O, ja też lubię śliwkowe :D
      Raczej ich już nie zobaczysz, skoro dałaś je w opiekę swojemu bratu.

      Delete
  4. mam jeszcze malinowe. ale wkrótce będzie więcej śliwkowych^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mniamu mniam. Ja mam wiśniowe i spory słoik Nutelli, który i tak już niemal do końca opróżniłem ;D

      Delete
    2. nutella! podziel się!

      Delete
  5. i kto to teraz posprząta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To pytanie retoryczne, nie?
      Sprząta zawsze odbiorca :D

      Delete
  6. aha, jasne.. już to widzę:D ja się ledwie ruszam

    ReplyDelete