I had to lay off doodling for more or less 2 months due to my exams and now it seems that I forgot most of my drawing tricks. Whenever I think my art-block is over, it comes back next day and holds on to me to the point I'm tired of constant erasing and refuse to try again! I hate it!
I really wish I could improve my blog template somehow and write that post I was intending to show here at the beginning of April, but since I can't come up with anything decent, I thought it might be a good idea to share some of my older scribbles.
I am really ashamed to say that over 95% of my doodles never gets scanned. It's kinda sad! Many of them are unfinished/too rough/unsuccessful, so that's understandable why they don't get any time in the spotlight, but actually some of them aren't that bad. I seriously don't know why I don't scan things. Oh, or maybe I know. Because my scanner is a complete rubbish. Everytime I switch it on it makes a series of machine gun sounds and it messes up all of my drawings. I'd love to chop it with an axe but then I'd be left without any scanner + I might hurt myself!
Okay, but enough of complaining, let's finally post some doodles. I think that most of them happened between late winter and early spring 2013, but few might be older or newer. Some of them are good, some bad, some really bad. There are also like two or three 'zombie drawings'! I call them zombies because they have lacking body parts or floating hands/feet not attached to their body. Let's get started!
Bos wearing cappin's clothes (minus the pants). Sometimes I ink my sketches with a ballpoint yet it very rarely happens 'cos I'm really clumsy with my hands and devastate most of these.
Three cats drawn from the side in a row.
This is a really old character of mine I tried to draw again! I have no talent in drawing sausage dogs, how awkward!
Possibly drawn in 2012, I think these are supposed to be fennec foxes. They're so ugly!
Kreska. She's an Abyssinian guinea pig. Not so successful ballpoint doodle.
And another ballpoint thingie. I don't like anything about it but only captain's legs got cut because they were the worst of everything!
Hahaha, ohh my, look at this monstrosity XD It's so old! But I think it's the very first time captain got rid of his uniform. I wanted to replace that uniform ever since, it was too formal for a poor fisherman. Now capt'n wears a sweater.
Uh oh, seems like someone has gone too far. Le admiral has no butt because I didn't like it.
This time the entire admiral got cut! But have the kitten he was petting!
Poor Saria happened to be a zombie without her right arm!
You know what? I'm a bit creepy. I draw characters that belong to people who probably don't even know me. Claire the shaved skunk belongs to Claire laMouf and I've never spoken to her in my life!
Sometimes I have no clue what I'm drawing until it actually happens. This is Hiena and she belongs to Rax! I've drawn the old version of this character, apparently.
One concept, two failed attempts.
I tried to draw Violet. She's mad!
Kluska enjoying her new toy!
Doctor professor Willow being extra careful! I've drawn him from memory and I forgot he wears goggles instead of that thingie. I'm sorry!
It's impossible to be a manly man when you have pets guinea pigs.
Kreska is sweet as sugar. She's cuddly and frisky, adores chin scratches and petting. I've never had an Abyssinian guinea pig because someone has told me they're agressive. Now I think it was just a stereotype, but... yeah, she bites! Yet it's impossible to not love her! Oh, and she's loud. She can wheek for hours and won't shut up no matter what.
Bibułka is rather quiet and very shy. Also extremely fast, it's really hard to catch her 'cos she's a sort of these guinea pigs that never become entirely tamed. But she has some good manners! She never pees on my bed when I take a nap with her. Poor Bibi has scabies now but she's being treated and I hope she will be able to get out of this.
I give up fastly. This might be a really fancy dancin' bossie but he never got finished!
I like how this turned out and I seriously don't know why I didn't scan this earlier.
I like whistling. My little brother isn't able to do it and he's really jealous of me. Sometimes he covers my mouth when he can't take my whistling any longer :D
Le admiral, boatswain, 1/2 of captain and Jo. Whenever my laziness reaches high leves, stuff like these happens. I have lots of such simplified doodles everywhere, these are only the examples!
Hyenas are so, so fun to draw. I like developing their backs into literal mountains.
Bos is terrified of spiders! (and many other things)
Whoever did this, must have had really strong legs!
Oh, stop doing this captain, you are not a model! Where's your left arm?
Some people claim guinea pigs' sounds are adorable but I wouldn't say so... After so many pointless wheeking concerts they drive me insane.
Does this make any sense?
Let me explain! xD
Once I came up with a comic concept. During annual spring-cleaning boatswain comes across a really old book. He intends to throw it away but the title draws his attention and he decides to read it. It's about hypnosis and he finds it quite useful as a stratagem in his eternal war with le admiral. Boatswain turns his sworn enemy into a cat. Surprisingly, catmiral turns out to be very fond of boatswain! But things begin to get serious when bos discovers that few pages from the book are missing and has no clue how to turn admiral back to normal!
I fastly gave up to this idea because the story was pretty hackneyed and STUPID. Even too stupid for my characters!
A literal catmiral. My scanner messed this one up completely. Possibly it hates catmirals!
Whoops, seems like your embarassing secret has come to light, admiral! Still sleeping with plushies, huh? Shame on you!
(no worries, boatswain isn't a ghost, he's just unfinished!)
Whew, that was the last one. All characters belong to their respective owners.
But here's something extra:
I received these photos from the breeder yesterday. Onyx is my future cat! We will be allowed to take him from the cattery in less than two weeks. I've never had a cat before and also never expected this dream to come true. I'm thrilled and I really hope we can be friends!

































when i saw how long this post was and how many amazing drawings there were to look at, i can't even describe how happy i felt :D your art always brightens my mood! i'm so glad your blog isn't gone, and i love your new template/background, even if you aren't quite satisfied with it yet. i know how that feels! i'm a little obsessive when it comes to the way my blog looks, and i can never get it looking just right either!
ReplyDeleteokay! gosh, do i even begin?? i wanted to comment on each picture individually, but i tried that and my comment was 10 miles long. i'm scared leaving such a huge comment would break your blog, so i erased it. but i have to say i love every single drawing here! they all look perfect to me, and i've been staring at them off and on since i first saw 'em yesterday morning!
being able to see so much artwork of your characters is like christmas for me. i love how, even though i still don't know a lot about them, i can learn new things just by looking at your doodles. i absolutely love le admirals interactions with boatswain. they make me laugh out loud :D and captain's laid-back personality makes me happy. the more i see of him, the more i like him! i know you think your comic idea with catmiral was dumb, but i think it sounds awesome. your sketches have so lively and energetic - i can easily see them animated in my head. le admiral bouncing around like a cat and annoying the heck out of boatswain is hilarious!
the way you draw your guinea pigs never fails to bring a smile to my face. especially the picture of kreska and bibi 'wheeking' (i had to look that up on youtube, i didn't know they made sounds!). your translation made me laugh. i can definitely see how that sound would get annoying after a while! the picture of them asleep together is heart-meltingly cute. i wish i knew how to use pens the way you do. your work always looks so neat! i hope bibi's scabies get better soon!
it's so much fun to see your interpretations of other artist's characters. my jaw dropped when i saw you'd drawn claire! i've always liked that character a lot, and even drew her myself a few times in 2010. my attempts were pitiful, but you made her look amazing :) i love kluska, and rax seems like a really neat character too! and of course, i squealed with delight when i saw jim and my characters. i never, ever imagined i'd see violet in your style! i was beginning to forget she even existed. thank you for reminding me with this wonderful picture <3 you've captured her personality perfectly - pouty and grumpy! i need to stop neglecting her! saria and jo are both adorable as well. your simplified 'lazy' style is precious :D jo seems to be reading the text above her head! and saria doesn't mind that she's missing an arm - it's not a problem for her, haha. you always give her the perfect proportions, and that giant grin is the best. thank you so much!
it always excites me when artists draw themselves, so when i saw you had too i was thrilled! i like your bumpy nose and droopy eyes a lot. cartoon you looks awesome! i hope maybe you'll draw yourself again sometime!
ahh, i'm so sorry for the length of this comment, and i don't expect you to read it all. i honestly have a whole lot more to say, but this is already ridiculously long, so i'll shut up.
OH wait, one more thing! i'm so happy to hear you're getting a cat soon :) i hope you two hit it off! cats make wonderful little friends, and onyx is beautiful! so very fluffy <3
TL;DR: your art is amazing, i love it, and you made my whole day by sharing so much of it with us! thank you!
Dear Lord!! This is THE BESTEST comment I've ever seen in my life! I'm amazed you took so much time to write it! Thank you a bunch, I didn't expect it at all and there's absolutely no need for apologies, it was a HUGE pleasure to read! :D
DeleteI'm glad you like this new template, my laziness definitely won't disappear quickly, so it will probably stay here for good xD
Ahhh, you're so kind I don't even know how to translate my thankfulness into words! It always brings a giant smile to my face to know that folks like my characters. Mostly because I've never suspected my trio will ever gain some fans! I'm thrilled they come to life in your imagination, that's a huge compliment! I really wish I was able to animate them, but right now, it's still hard for me to draw them standing straight :D
Haha, I'm glad you like this silly doodle :D Guinea pigs make lots of various sounds, apart from wheeking they also purr (in their own way), chirp and do really odd sounds I have no idea how to name. 'Purring' is quite hilarious yet 'wheeking' can make you furious after a few hours xD
I found Claire very interesting and really wanted to attempt to draw her. Her design is challenging! I saw one of your takes on her on your saeleagrace dA account and I still think it's adorable :D And I always thought Violet is adorable, even though she seems to be a bully! Her cat pyjamas are beyond cute and that would be neat to see her in your style again :3 You have LOTS of amazing characters I'd like to draw in the future. Besides, I don't think if I've ever commented on any of your drawings of Emaline and she remains very mysterious for me, so I'd love to see her again :D She's such an imaginative character I'd also like to try to draw!
It was really fun to draw Saria and Jo as well. Your and Jim's characters often pop out on my drawing sheets 'cos they're perfect to practise drawing on + really enjoyable to draw!
Ahh, thank you! xD I was hesitant to post that drawing of myself here but I did it eventually. This cartoony bluesman might appear once again because I'm planning to do a 'shout it out' thingie someday in the future!
I know you're experienced with cats and I'm glad to hear that :3 Cats sure can be precious friends!
I'm genuinely grateful for this comment! I'll try to share more of my scribbles in the future and be more open about my characters, too!