2013/07/14

Character fact no.1



One of captain's biggest dreams is to own a car! And thanks God he can't afford one!

Good ol' cappin definitely isn't someone you would call a lively person. If I had to describe him briefly, using one sentence only, I'd probably say: Patrick is nice, but he doesn't do much.
But like everyone, he has his energetic moments. When I say energetic, I mean very energetic. He's literally exploding with enthusiasm whenever he discovers something new & fun. Can really be a pain in the neck for poor boatswain, who has to watch out for him and intervene before he manages to kill himself!

This drawing is kinda based on this really hideous comic strip I made exactly one year ago. I was originally going to mail it to my friend but I hated it so much I didn't! But decided to post it here, I think it's always a good thing to compare old stuff to the new.

(oh, and I'll try to post more facts like this because I've been told that my characters are a mystery wayyy too many times :D)

6 comments :

  1. hoorayyy :D i'm always glad to learn more about your characters!

    first of all, i have to point out i think captain's childlike enthusiasm is adorable and very easy to relate to. i feel sort of the same way about cooking, but i can't cook at all xD if i had access to a nice kitchen, it would end in disaster. but i can dream. and so can patrick!

    i've said it before, but i'm going to say it again (because i can never say it enough): you are masterful with expressions! boatswain looks absolutely horrified. i can feel his fear, haha. i've been in a car with a very wreckless driver before, and i'm sure my face looked the same. i love how insanely happy patrick is too. i think he's past the point of being reasoned with!

    all the details in the picture are wonderful as well, and need to be mentioned. i'm not very good when it comes to focusing on them in my own work, but i always notice them in other people's. they're important! the itchy-ness of captain's scarf and the wrinkles in his gloves, the worry lines around boatswain's eyes (i'm not sure if that's what they're actually called, but i like them!) and the backwards P on the box. it's fun to spot little things like that in your art :3 i also really like that you used minimal colouring here. it fits very nicely!

    eee, seeing that old comic made me super happy! i don't think it's hideous at all! it's amazing :D i love how the wheels are drawn onto the box in that version haha. aah i wish i could see more of your old art! i know you think it's terrible, but i think it's wonderful c:

    thank you for sharing this! it was fun to learn something new about captain, especially since i think i know less about him than le admiral and boatswain! i look forward to more characters facts :3

    (oh yeah, and the music you chose for this is a perfect fit xD hilarious!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, your comments always make me smile widely! I hope you don't spend entire day writing them, they're SO LONG! Thank you! :D

      Aww, I think everything is a matter of time. You'll cook masterfully one day! The more enthusiastic you are, the faster you learn, I think. I panic and freak out in the kitchen, so I'm afraid there's a long way to go in case of me, haha!

      Ahh, thank you a bunch! I am still learning and figuring out how to draw expressions, they aren't so easy, but very important! Haha, I'm sorry you had to put up with such a situation, I need to admit I've been going through something similar, too - my older brother is a complete madman when it comes to driving!

      Actually, I think you're better than me in case of capturing all these tiny details in your drawings :3 Seriously! I started drawing them because YOUR work inspired me to do it!
      And I'm glad you noticed all of them, I think 'worry lines' is a good name for these :D

      Haha, it's a good thing you don't think my old scribbles are horrible, because I'm going to post more of them soon. It's already planned and such, now I only need to draw something new to compare them to!

      Nonono, thank YOU! I didn't expect such thoughtful comment and it certainly motivates me to post more of these. I'll give a try!

      (thanks, such hellish ride deserves a hellish song xD)

      Delete
    2. ooh, i'm excited to see more of your old art!

      you're always very welcome! haha, believe it or not, these long comments happen without much effort. i usually spend more time trying to pare them down than i do actually writing them! i think your brain might break if you saw how long they usually are to begin with! xD please let me know if they get annoying, though, and i'll hush up. i don't want to be a bother! i just really enjoy telling you how much i love your art :>

      Delete
    3. That's so awesome xD I don't think my brain is likely to break anytime soon because it loves your comments and so do I! I appreciate your support more than you could ever imagine, hearing so many nice things from one of my favourite artists is really spoiling <3

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry I've been so busy I haven't checked back here in a while! It is SO GREAT to see you putting your art somewhere and talking about it too. It's a privilege to see this stuff! That comic really made me smile. Your pacing is so smooth and the actions are so clear and require no words to follow. I like Patrick a lot and it's great to know more about him! Can't wait for character fact # 2! I think seeing the comic with your new picture makes it even funnier because it's like he's upgraded his box so it actually moves on wheels now and he doesn't need a fan to simulate speed anymore! Poor Boatswain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be sorry, I don't mind! I haven't been active here for a while + I changed my address, so it was quite hard to realise I'm posting again ;)
      Thank you so much for all the kind words! I think that was my first attempt on making a 'mute' comic and I'm glad to know it's understandable without any words!
      Haha, thank you! I have a kind of similar box yet with a sail and a helm and even with an anchor. Sadly, I never managed to make it move so I still use a fan :D

      Delete