2019/01/30

Oodles of doodles

I was searching through my documents a while ago and found a large amount of sketches that weren't shared online. As usual, they can go on this blog! I don't think I will be posting them anywhere else, mostly because many of them are severely outdated. They're also varying in quality, some of them are fairly clean, some are sloppy. And some are at least several years old, so you're about to see style fluctuations as well! I tried to arrange them in a chronological order, but it wasn't really possible because everything was pretty mixed up.

That's it for the introduction, let's start!



Squirrels. They're pretty easy & fun to draw if you ask me!


(I don't know who this is)


I know who this is, though. Marcel! I used to draw him often in the past. He licked his toes in a very obscene way, haha.


There was a period of time when everything I drew was tiny. These moles are about an inch big.



I still like this one! Well, I remember I was unhappy with it right after finishing it, but now I like it for some reason. Life works in mysterious ways.




This is the only drawing of Emaline that didn't end in disaster, but my gosh, look at that neck! What the heck!


(Third in a row drawing of Marcel with his head turned right)


Rumbrave... I wonder what happened to her. I want to believe she's safe and sound, but I worry about the worst sometimes :(





Even more Marcels facing right, haha. He plumped up considerably at one point. Not THAT much, but he was still quite round! Goodness, I miss him a lot. He had the softest fur in the whole world and giving him tummy rubs was therapeutic <3


(I can't provide any explanation for this!)


Neverwell! Drawn before I learned about his colours, markings and clothing. His face seems wonky, but other than that I still kinda like the doodle!


Egg-shaped Jolene. What is that she's holding? Probably an egg too!


Woah, this Marcel isn't facing right! (Also that's some serious cheek fluff)


That Petey looks awful, I'm SO sorry!! Snapps looks okay-ish, I think!

Jay. Yay!


I don't know why Steve looks so disgruntled here, maybe this was the first time somebody ate HIS food? Probably! He's onto it!




Another collection of Marcels. Yup, I really did like drawing him! He looked different each time, I enjoyed trying out various options. Cats are liquid, they have no definite shape!



Some scribbles I made to comfort myself after losing Bibułka. The first doodle was heavily inspired by Jim's ghost character, Whim. In fact you can even see Bo's heel and plank in the upper left corner!



Those were concept sketches for my first adoptable character, Otto. In the end I decided to make him feral instead of bipedal because his body was way too admiral-esque.

Snapps. I think he's my favourite out of all pirate dogs!


I sincerely apologise you have to see this! Marcel did strange things to his feet!

More squirrels. This was from when my style started deteriorating - I ditched those long, oval eyes and began drawing round ones instead. Proportions got quite boring, shapes became less wacky. It didn't take long until I realised that I didn't like those changes at all... I'm currently working on reviving my older style! I felt much more comfortable with it, I miss it!


One of my early attempts to draw classic Saria. She looks pretty skinny to me now :O


This may or may not be Dima. I can't tell for sure!


This is definitely Marston, haha. He's not the brightest, but he still makes an excellent friend!


I don't like this one at all!! It's Dima, but I wasn't able to capture her likeness too well... In reality, she looks more like a big kitten with a tiny head, lmao. Her body is very plump and fluffy.


Early concept sketch for Glitch the guinea pig. I'm about as confused as you are! I remember that he was meant to be a hobo at the beginning, but this was still pretty extreme. For now, his status remains undetermined: I don't know what to do with this character and I don't use him, but I also don't want to get rid of him since I kinda like him. Plus I received some fanart of Glitch, which makes him a lot more special! (Thank you!)



There are so many things I don't like about those 2 doodles. I think they're very dull! They don't have the energy my older doodles had, they don't have that lighthearted vibe. I wish I noticed these alarming signs earlier.

One of my first attempts to draw Syk. She looks almost nothing like her to me now, whoops!


They're holding ice cream! (It's hard to tell due to excessive sloppiness, haha)


Zombie coyote. I don't like it so much, BLEUGH.





Skunkified Taffy explorations + one normal Taffy wearing skunk pyjamas. Back when I drew this I had no idea I would own similar skunk pyjamas one day! Hmmm!


This toad has seen some SHOYTE.


Yar har fiddle dee dee..!


I wasn't intending to share this but it made me laugh, so here it goes!


Doodling boatswain's portraits is my most common way of warming up. The second one must be angry because some eraser particles got stuck to his face!


Unpopular opinion: almost every cartoon cat is better than Garfield. I used to love Garfield, but Jim Davis' comics about him had an AWFUL influence on me when I was growing up. I wish I didn't discover Garfield when I was a kid, but it was impossible not to!


Drawing a sitting admiral is a nightmare, so I'm still kinda proud of this one!


A ferocious polecat has invaded their bedroom! (I'm still very fond of this scribble!)


This was my first drawing of Shaantu, I think? First or second. I rejected it because there was something wrong about the head and/or ears. I can't remember what exactly, though!


Wentworth! I've always liked this character, I may not know much about him, but he certainly seems like a good fellow. I messed up his proportions, but the rest is rather okay!


Admiral swapped species with boatswain for once. I also drew boatswain in human skin, believe it or not! I decided not to share (yet) because there was a lot of room for improvement, but I might do it one day. I don't care for transformation - to be perfectly honest, most of the artwork depicting stages of transformation scares the HECK outta me. I'm only curious to see the final result, nothing else!


(This guy reminds me of Cajun Saria a little)





A cowboy skunk, a regular skunk, a dog and even more skunks. I enjoy drawing surprised expressions so much, I'm sure you can tell! And I like skunks too, haha. They're some of my favourite wild animals, I wish they lived in Europe!





Have some skunkmirals as well. They keep popping up!


*

This is everything I scanned! All 65 images. This post might look like I don't give my characters too much attention and I feel bad about that D: The reality is completely different! I have LOTS of old, unpublished doodles of my crew, but I'm very unhappy with the vast majority of them.. I just don't feel comfortable sharing them at this point. The good news is that I've been feeling pretty productive lately, so I might draw & share my sailors more often. Let's hope it comes true!

2 comments :

  1. Yesss!! I checked your blog mere minutes after you published this entry and nearly started hyperventilating! Every single one of these sketches is pure GOLD <3 I actually opened all of my favourite ones in new tabs so I could click back to them as many times as I wanted throughout the day - that's how much I love your art ;___; I need to be able to access it quickly for that instant mood boost!

    I'm in the process of writing a mile-long comment about each of these sketches. I hope you don't mind!! I love each of them for different reasons and want to express my appreciation <3 It'll take a little time to finish that, so in the meantime I thought I'd leave a shorter reply here :)

    Thank you, SO much for scanning all of this artwork. It doesn't matter how old, I treasure everything you draw. There simply aren't words to describe how elated I was as I scrolled through this post. You said there weren't many admirals, and you weren't lying... at least when it comes to human admirals! But seeing skunkmiral return made my whole week, holy smokes!! I also can't believe how many of my (and Jim's!) characters you've drawn ;___; I didn't think I could get any happier.. I could explode now! I really can never thank you enough - you're my favourite artist and it still blows me away that you think my crummy characters are worth doodling. They always look fantastic in your style!!

    I'll save the rest of my gushing for the other comment I'm working on <3 And ohh, seeing more drawings of your crew would be a dream come true! I miss them when I don't see them for long periods of time. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed you'll share some more art of them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't know that!! For a few brief moments, I was considering giving you a small heads-up on Telegram, I'm glad it wasn't necessary :D Ahhh, and I actually do something similar when you 'n' Jim post new art ;____; I look at it multiple times a day (or week) because I simply can't get enough, every day with new drawings from you or Jim feels like Christmas!

      Holy smokes, please don't feel pressured to go through so much trouble!! I love all your comments, no matter if short or long <3 I can't believe you have something to say about each scribble, this is a HUGE compliment ;____;

      Thank you a ton, I don't like scanning big amounts of sketches (my scanner is like 3 meters away from my computer, so I have to run back and forth every time), but making you happy is worth EVERY effort <3 Putting up this post was actually fun, I created this blog specifically for entries like this one! And yeah, I wish there were more admirals too :( I have many, but they're super outdated and I can't stomach looking at them. This applies to all of my characters to be honest! But I'm very happy you enjoyed those skunkmirals, I had a feeling you would! Oh noo, please don't call your characters "crummy" - they're among my top favourite fictional characters ever, they never cease to inspire me <3

      Thank you so much in advance, gosh ;____; I won't stop you, but please don't feel pressured to keep writing once you feel burned out!!

      Delete