I had this particular fact on my mind ever since I posted the first one... Took me almost 6 years to actually do it, holy smokes! I remember attempting it multiple times but I was never content with how I draw boatswain from that angle. I'm not super happy with this doodle either, I just don't feel like doing it one more time, haha. Let's finally be done with it and move on to other stuff!
Did you know that boatswain has spots on his back and shoulders? You might have known that because I mentioned it somewhere in the past (although I can't remember if it was in English or Polish). What you may not know is the fact that his spots have peculiar origins. Peculiar or gross, depending on how sensitive you are!
When I created boatswain in Spring 2010, he was originally meant to be my fursona, even though I've always disliked that word. He was never supposed to be me in an animal form, but some of his features reflected my own characteristics. I gave him a big nose because I have a big nose myself. I made him an elder since I preferred spending my time with people that were at least a couple of years older than me (this is still true to this day!). I also made him quite chubby because I had a bit of a paunch back then. He lost that tum as the time went by, while my own waist... grew in the opposite direction, haha. We kinda swapped silhouettes 'cos right now I'm much more like him from 2010!
As for the spots, they are also linked to something I have. My back and shoulders are covered in small spots, but those are neither moles nor freckles. They're all scars! Mostly post-acne scars, to be more precise. I have a strange nervous habit that still contributes to creating all those spots: whenever I feel stressed, I touch, pinch and scratch my back and shoulders. I've never been able to stop doing that no matter how hard I tried. I remember I was extremely embarrassed of all those spots when I was a teen: I never let anyone see them, I refused to go to the swimming pool, I avoided tank tops at all costs etc. I allowed myself to accept them over time, though. They certainly aren't pretty, but they're harmless. Both me and boatswain hide them under our clothes, so they're a secret!
When I created boatswain in Spring 2010, he was originally meant to be my fursona, even though I've always disliked that word. He was never supposed to be me in an animal form, but some of his features reflected my own characteristics. I gave him a big nose because I have a big nose myself. I made him an elder since I preferred spending my time with people that were at least a couple of years older than me (this is still true to this day!). I also made him quite chubby because I had a bit of a paunch back then. He lost that tum as the time went by, while my own waist... grew in the opposite direction, haha. We kinda swapped silhouettes 'cos right now I'm much more like him from 2010!
As for the spots, they are also linked to something I have. My back and shoulders are covered in small spots, but those are neither moles nor freckles. They're all scars! Mostly post-acne scars, to be more precise. I have a strange nervous habit that still contributes to creating all those spots: whenever I feel stressed, I touch, pinch and scratch my back and shoulders. I've never been able to stop doing that no matter how hard I tried. I remember I was extremely embarrassed of all those spots when I was a teen: I never let anyone see them, I refused to go to the swimming pool, I avoided tank tops at all costs etc. I allowed myself to accept them over time, though. They certainly aren't pretty, but they're harmless. Both me and boatswain hide them under our clothes, so they're a secret!
*
I'm going to use this opportunity to say a little more about boatswain and the rest of the original trio. Outside and inside, boatswain has always been different than me, but the personality differences became more intense in the past several years. I like him a lot (he's my own creation after all!), but I wouldn't say he represents the way I see myself. He has always been more active, more curious and more socially skilled than me. He hasn't always been so grumpy and self-assured, he started out as a pretty kind and humble fellow that avoided getting himself into conflicts. As soon as I introduced the other 2 sailors, those things began to change. He evolved into a character I never thought he would be!
Boatswain isn't mean by default - he's only a jerk to admiral and his pets, really. He will go out his way to mess with them, but won't bug anyone else (unless somebody gives him a valid reason to do that). In contrast, he loves captain with the whole power of his heart. Nobody gets treated the way cappin' does! If it wasn't for their mutual history, I'm not sure if these two could get along. Captain is absent-minded, childish and a little clumsy, while boatswain is the opposite of all of these. Regardless of that, captain filled a blank hole in boatswain's life and now the duo is practically inseparable.
Bos is also a very... politically incorrect individual! He holds quite a few beliefs that I don't approve of, but he also reflects some of my own less noble personal traits. He's judgemental, pessimistic, mistrustful and likes to gossip. I can relate to these, whoops. Overall, I think some of boatswain's characteristics stand for things that I'd like to change about myself. Captain, on the other hand, represents certain qualities I'd like to introduce to my life one day. He's serene, forbearing and he evades speaking ill of anybody. I don't necessarily mean that boatswain is bad and captain is good: the traits I mentioned in this section are just small chunks of their personalities. This is just how said traits correlate with my own goals!
Out of all my characters, admiral is currently the one who bears the burden of being the most personal to me. He took on the role that was never planned for him! Even though we aren't perfectly alike, I feel connected to him in many different ways. My emotions and choices affect him, my opinions form him, my drawings of him are frequently linked to something from my own reality. He isn't the villain he was originally meant to be (and I'm so thankful for that), but he's still a morally grey character. I feel a lot more attached to him than I was at the beginning. And I have a lot in store for him too!
That's all for today, thank you for reading!

Oh no!! I didn't check your blog for a couple of days and I MISSED this D: So happy I decided to check tonight 'cos I've been missing your characters a lot! Seeing them is like being reunited with old friends <3
ReplyDeleteI've always been inexplicably drawn to grumpy characters and boatswain is no exception. I'm especially fond of this ill-tempered seal, though, 'cos he was the first character of yours I ever met! Admiral might be my favourite, but bos is the one I have the most in common with (minus having social skills and being self-assured!). His loyalty to Patrick makes my heart swell with happiness; I love how well they complement each other's personalities!
I knew boatswain had spots (I think they were visible in that fatty bos you drew a while back!), but I wasn't aware there was a story behind them :D That's so clever - I would've never guessed they're based on acne scars!! I personally think scars are neat, but I understand why you were self-conscious about them as a teen. Still, I'm glad to know you've gradually come to accept yours over time. Thank you for sharing that story <3 I have a problem with pulling off skin tags, haha. I actually get excited when I discover a new one 'cos it means I get to yank it off! SORRY. It IS TMI Tuesday here, though!!
Ohhh, the way you ended this blog post makes me hope Admiral might be featured in a character fact soon ;___; His transformation (both in terms of his personality and design) has always intrigued me! I live for these blog posts, reading them is like unwrapping a giant present. There's still so much I don't know about your crew!! I'm hesitant to ask you questions about them outright because I enjoy getting to know them bit-by-bit on your blog. That probably sounds silly and I'm sorry, but it's the truth! Please never stop writing about them - I'm eager to learn more <3
Ohh, and I can't end this comment without gushing about that boatswain picture up there! Drawing characters from that angle is deceptively hard - it looks pretty simple, but it isn't!! I think you did a marvelous job :D Poor bos doesn't look thrilled to be spotted (ha) without his clothes on. His pouty lower lip cracks me up, pff <3 And that LINEART. I have to admit, I'm totally jealous of how clean your inking is! It looks like you drew this traditionally with a brush pen or something, it's fantastic.
Thank you for sharing these facts about boatswain with us, he's one of my favourite characters of all time <3 Now I feel closer to him than ever!
Thank you, knowing you always look forward to seeing them means the world to me <3 Each time I see your characters (old and new!), I feel like I could do a backflip out of happiness :D They're such a treat to see, I'm checking your social media accounts every day hoping to see Pianka, believe it or not ;___;
DeleteOh whoa, I definitely wouldn't say you have that much in common with boatswain! Naturally it depends on how you see him (all of my creations are open to interpretation), but you two aren't alike in my personal opinion :D But at the same time I must say that I'm thrilled to know that you are able to relate to him. I never expected to hear that!
Ah! You're right, thank you for reminding me, haha. I'm also quite surprised you weren't grossed out by that story! I appreciate your strong nerves :D And there's absolutely no need to apologise for telling me about those skin tags <3 It's more like... music to my ears that I know about you doing your own skin surgeries!! I don't have skin tags, but I amputated 2 of my own moles last summer. They were quite big and it felt super satisfying to get rid of them. Painful, but worth it!
I've been thinking about writing a long-ass post with full backstories for each one of my characters, so I might actually do it just for you :D I can't say when, yet I'm very motivated to do it one day! Thank you for your interest in them, I can't even begin to describe how much it motivates me to draw and share them ;____; Also that's not silly at all, it makes me indescribably happy! But please remember, if there's anything you're particularly curious about, don't hesitate to ask :) I do have that ask blog I keep talking about - the address is ask-bluesman.tumblr.com! It's still absolutely raw, but it exists, so you may as well have the link <3
Haha, that's undeniably true! And my goodness, am I in love with that pun!! You deserve a medal for that one :D Thank you so much, drawing lines has been nothing but pleasure ever since I started inking on a Cintiq. It used to be my most hated part of digital drawing, now it's my favourite!
Thank YOU for commenting and being my biggest supporter ;___; I'm very glad this fact made you feel more connected to bos, I wasn't expecting that at all <3