2019/11/30

Family emergency

My grandpa tripped and fractured his pelvis today - I'm not certain if this the correct diagnosis, but everything points to it. If it is, it means he will never be able to walk again :( He's an old man, born in 1928, with a long history of serious health problems. He takes various medications on a regular basis and one of them is a blood thinner, so surgery is not an option. He's currently in the hospital and I got the chance to visit him for a brief moment today. Thankfully he seems to be calm and not in too much pain, yet I'm still worried about him since our hospital staff is really neglectful (especially of elders) and I highly doubt it he's going to receive a proper treatment in that place.

He's my maternal grandpa and his name is Joseph. He's the oldest member of the family that I'm aware of. He and my maternal grandma (named Romana) are among the most treasured people I have in my life. Those grandparents played a big role in my early childhood and they continue to have a very positive impact on me to this day. I know they won't be here forever, we all knew something like this could happen. Still, the thought of him being tied to his bed for the rest of his time makes me so sad, this is a big and difficult change for him and everybody around. I'm considering moving in with my grandparents; sadly I have no medical knowledge, but I could easily do a lot of housekeeping. Only time will tell what is the best for them.

My parents are behaving oddly. My mom handled this whole situation and she definitely deserves a lot of credit for her immediate and sensible help. She has been mentally preparing for it for years. But when she was asked for an additional favour, she got absolutely furious. We had to bring one medication and some documents to the hospital, that's all! She was lamenting about her hair not looking well enough to show up in any public areas, she seemed more concerned about that than about her own father. She was mean to him as well, which was completely uncalled for. Both me and my bro agreed she was acting crazy. And if that was just after a half of one day, then what's next?

My dad was happily guzzling alcohol while all of this was happening. Nothing out of the ordinary! I wasn't surprised in the slightest because he's as unreliable as a person can possibly be. When we got back from the hospital, he decided it was time to yell at me for not having a job yet. I got several commissions to do in the recent days - that IS my job, for now. I gathered much more interest than I anticipated (and I'm really thankful for it), so hopefully I will be able to support myself for at least 2 upcoming months. I don't want to let my clients wait and I'm postponing my job hunt in order to finish these commissions as soon as I can, and he has nothing to do with it. I told him: you are unable to control your own life, why are you so desperate to control everyone else's? He was pissed, but didn't say much after that.

I'm using all of my willpower to stay calm. I feel a mishmash of sadness, frustration and hopelessness, but I'm not letting those emotions damage me. They won't really move me any further and it's my time to keep going. I don't want to get trapped in a home that is so full of anger and disrespect. A quiet, peaceful life in a small cabin off the beaten track - this is my destination. I ignite my imagination with that thought every so often. It's not much, but it does help a little!